Sunday, August 28, 2011

Lip Smackin' Sunday








Happy Sunday all. Well here we are again another week has come and gone. Were does the time go??? I mean I am already getting together my LDG's Halloween costume and before you know it I will be wrapping presents for Xmas the time just goes by to fast. Sundays is super lazy day at casa crazy and I look through my recipes to whip up something yummy for our Sunday dinner. Since I got a new
crock pot yesterday - I think we should start using it. Today would be a perfect day since the weather sucks and it is cold outside - yep folks brrrrrrr.....cold in August! On the menu

Braised Short Ribs - I have been craving these for months and since we as a family do not eat allot of red meat we decided to save this for a special time and Sunday is the perfect day. The awesome thing about this new crock pot is that I can sear my meat and cook it all in the same pot...I got it at William Sonoma the one place I should not be allowed to be left alone...EVER!

Recipe from the Food Network

Ingredients

6 bone-in short ribs (about 5 3/4 pounds)
Kosher salt
Extra-virgin olive oil
1 large Spanish onion, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
2 ribs celery, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
2 carrots, peeled, cut in 1/2 lengthwise, then cut into 1/2-inch pieces
2 cloves garlic, smashed
1 1/2 cups tomato paste
2 to 3 cups hearty red wine
2 cups water
1 bunch fresh thyme, tied with kitchen string
2 bay leaves

Season each short rib generously with salt. Coat a pot large enough to accommodate all the meat and vegetables with olive oil and bring to a high heat. Add the short ribs to the pan and brown very well, about 2 to 3 minutes per side. Do not overcrowd pan. Cook in batches, if necessary.

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.

While the short ribs are browning, puree all the vegetables and garlic in the food processor until it forms a coarse paste. When the short ribs are very brown on all sides, remove them from the pan. Drain the fat, coat the bottom of same pan with fresh oil and add the pureed vegetables. Season the vegetables generously with salt and brown until they are very dark and a crud has formed on the bottom of the pan, approximately 5 to 7 minutes. Scrape the crud and let it reform. Scrape the crud again and add the tomato paste. Brown the tomato paste for 4 to 5 minutes. Add the wine and scrape the bottom of the pan. Lower the heat if things start to burn. Reduce the mixture by half.

Return the short ribs to the pan and add 2 cups water or until the water has just about covered the meat. Add the thyme bundle and bay leaves. Cover the pan and place in the preheated oven for 3 hours. Check periodically during the cooking process and add more water, if needed. Turn the ribs over halfway through the cooking time. Remove the lid during the last 20 minutes of cooking to let things get nice and brown and to let the sauce reduce. When done the meat should be very tender but not falling apart. Serve with the braising liquid.

7 comments:

Megs said...

Yummy! Sounds delicious. I might just have to run out to buy a crock pot just so I can make this! ^_^ Love your blog!

Courtney Pies said...

Hello!
I started following you from the Finding New Friends Weekend Blog Hop - Week 21! I am a part of the blog hop. :)
I'm following your site, Google Friend Connect, Facebook, Twitter, Networked Blogs, etc. if applicable!
I hope you had a great weekend!

-Courtney P.
http://couponingcourtney.blogspot.com


P.S. Those braised short ribs sound so good! I might have to try out this recipe. :)

ashley said...

New twitter and blog follower. Have a great week. ashley@laborlooks.com

Mommy Bags said...

OK ladies we had an early dinner this evening because those dang ribs smelled so good. They were delish

carol anne said...

I want your crock pot! We never use ours because it's too small.

I'm a new follower ~ thank you for stopping by and leaving such a nice comment!

http://aissafamily.blogspot.com/

ana said...

Yummy! I have to admit...75% of what I make is in the crock pot. Love it!

Cori said...

now im starving ... thanks for sharing those recipes!!

I'm your newest follower, thanks for following my blog too!!

Feeling the love......