Sunday, December 4, 2011

What happened to the....

normal size girls? Were they ejected to some magical island far away never to be seen again? I ask myself this question because in the last few weeks the TV has been over run with old time goodies sitcoms from the 80's.  For shit sake the powers that be were running some Facts of Life re runs and I was all up in that shit. I still love those damn girls. As I was watching the show I noticed how much curvier the chicks on that show were compared to the sticks on TV now a days. I mean Blair Warner had some boobies and Tootie rocked her hard core ass. I mean these were normal size girls and now a days all we see is anorexic with ribs which scares the hoo haa out of me because I have a daughter who will be exposed to all this shit soon. I mean even the damn Disney Princesses {blah} look like inflatable boobs on sticks.

I mean look at Beverly Hills 90210 then and now.
90210 then -Look butt and nicely toned legs

90210 Present Day - Yep that looks healthy and so appetizing 
TJ Hooker and the Fall Guy totally 2 hot blonds both curvy and natural girls next door pretty...No artificial ingredients here folks....


'
How can you  not remember this poster if your a child of the 80's you would
I had to stare at this for 3 years my bro had one of these up in his room 
It's like poultry that is juiced up with hormones
Saved by the Bell which I hate to admit  I actually watched on Saturday mornings. The girls on the show looked real...they looked like kinds you would go to HS with.


The below not so much




I watch Roseann reruns all the time and I miss watching a show were the girls were not some made up fantasy of what girls are supposed to look like by some Hollywood pervert sucking on a cigar in some studio somewhere.


I guess they were different times but it scares me to see how much things have changed in such a short period of time.....I hope to make sure that my daughter grows up in a healthy environment when it comes to body image. I struggled for many years with my self esteem because I never thought my body was not just so. For a couple of years all I ate was carrots, crackers, cabbage soup, coffee and smoked cigarettes yep I lost weight quickly  but I also made myself unhealthy and  it messed up my metabolism for life. All I thought about was food and what evil thing it would do to my body I second guessed everything I put in my mouth.  Looking back I now know I suffered from a slight eating disorder.  I finally snapped out of it one day and worked my way through it. To this day though, I still sometimes feel guilty of every piece of food I put in my mouth which should not be the case. Is this just a woman thing? Right now I am the healthiest I have been.  I work out, eat right and fresh. I feel good and I want my daughter to know what good food is all about. I hope she will never have to second guess her worth based on what she looks like.....Mommy will make sure of that baby girl.......


Happy Sunday......

14 comments:

joeh said...

I am so with you on this. I love women who look like women, not women who look like young boys! How is skinny healthy looking? Beats me. Rubinesque is beautiful, Olive Oil, not so much.

We should send all the Plastic Women to Beverly Hills, and drop the bomb!

Cranky Old Man

I'm free of the abuse said...

I struggle with issues like this everyday. My daughter is now 12 but has been anorexic since she was 10. Yep. 10. Heartbreaking. I don't blame society completely. When you watch your mom struggle with obesity your whole life on one hand and get told by society that emaciated is the only beautiful on the other hand; it's bound to mess you up. She's doing well now and is a healthy weight but it's always there. It's always there. Just around the corner, waiting for some poor schmuck to say the wrong thing.

Thanks for posting this.
Susan
http://75percenthippie.blogspot.com
http://happyhippieheart.blogspot.com

KristaM said...

Just came across your blog and am a new follower! I actually went to middle/high school with the 90210 girl in the orange dress. She was always that tiny, and has always been involved in sports. Really is her natural size.

Check out my blog (tons of recipes!) and follow back at http://www.the-not-so-desperate-chef-wife.com/

Thanks!
Krista

KristaM said...

Forgot to mention, I am so glad to see someone else enjoys Roseanne as much as me. I'm going to admit, I have all the seasons on DVD lol!

Ronni said...

I gotta disagree about The O.C. They're all attractive, but unconventionally attractive. That's one thing I liked about the show. Peter Gallagher has crazy eyebrows, Rachel Bilson has a flat head, etc. etc. I liked that! The other was that I had a hot raging crush on Adam Brody. The crush has calmed down but I still look at him and go "sweet damn!"

(It's very convenient when your husband has the same name as your celebrity crush.)

But all the others? You're so right. I'd rather look at either normal people, or attractive people who are not stick figures with balloon boobies and collagen pumped up faces/lips.

Sandra said...

Great post. I especially love that you come clean about your eating disorder. As a woman who has struggled with an eating disorder, not anorexia, but constantly worried about what I put in my mouth, I am raising my daughter to get her self-worth in things other than body image. Ironically, she's a dancer and is constantly in an environment where the being thin is encouraged. Luckily though, my kid loves her Dairy Queen too much...anyway, where was I going with this?...oh right, love this authentic, honest post, and you're so right? What happened between the 80s tv shows and the ones now? Now you got me all deep and thinky...

Unknown said...

it truly is scary the *ideal* the media shoves down our throats now -- imagine when our little girls are teenagers! now that is effin'
scary!

i LOVED facts of life & still watch roseanne ALL the time! loveeeeeeeeeee those shows!

my brother was obsessed with heather thomas & had her poster on his wall too...

Elana said...

I couldn't agree more! It is a bit frightening to realize how much body ideals have changed in such a short time. So many of my friends with food/body issues are that way because of their mothers, so kudos to you for breaking the cycle.

I just mentioned Facts of Life in a post too, after not thinking about that show for years. Now I'm missing Roseanne.

Im A Silly Mami said...

I loved all those tv shows. That was real television. Everything comes back eventually so I hope this thin as crackers shit will be over soon enough and we start seeing healthy looking women and girls again. Let's hope anyway.

ReadyOrNot said...

Great blog post! The difference between the "then and now" 90210 pictures are amazing. I can't believe the differences in sizes of the girls! The girls on some of the Disney channel shows are more regular sized (iCarly)(So Random), but some aren't (Victorious) I am going to have to really pay attention to these things in the future! UGH!

Michael Ann said...

I am petite and naturally thin, but while growing up, my mom was always dieting and worried about MY weight too, so I was convinced I was chubby. I too developed an eating disorder in high school but luckily got some help and got out of it. I don't worry about what I eat at all anymore BUT, honestly, if I weren't naturally thin I'd probably worry about it more.

You will be happy to hear that my two sons think skinny is unattractive and they talk about girls that "need to eat more." Like Joe Cranky, I think most males like a woman with curves, or at least not anorexic looking. If only young girls would believe that and be happy with themselves! Women too. We carry those issues into adulthood for sure.

Great post, MB.

Sheri said...

The memories you just brought back! Wow! Remember every one of those and you are so right.

I think that might be a woman thing. I mentally calculate calories with everything I eat and feel guilty all the time and say tomorrow I won't eat as much...ongoing stupid stupid battle!

Mommy Bags said...

Thanks for all the thumbs up guys. It is a hard subject but needs to be talked/written about. I want to raise a healthy little girl into a healthy young woman

Lindsay said...

You're so right!! Those girls on 90210 are way too damn skinny...they look anorexic!!

Feeling the love......