Sunday, December 11, 2011

I am getting way....

to old for this shit! Friday night hubby and I had our first date night ever since LDG has been born...LDG is no longer a baby but will be a full blown toddler in about two months....so let's just say it has been a hell of a long time since we have had some us time in the form of dinner, adult conversation and drinks out of the house and not at a local Cheesecake Factory there is only so much salad I can eat the only thing I will allow myself to get there...OK...okay once in awhile I will bust out and get the Calamari appetizer.

Dinner was awesome, the company stimulating and the few bottles of wine  smooth and so needed.  After dinner hubby and I decided that it was still early enough *shit we were paying for a baby sitter might as well take advantage of the time* that we could check out some old neighborhood stomping grounds and boy did I wish we hadn't. Man...all I can remember thinking was wow did the bars just seem a whole lot more glamorous a few years ago or were we just so loaded that they appeared to be? I had a slight buzz Friday night I was no were near drunk so I saw things in a whole different light.

We went to three different places we used to frequent- we made it in 2 to say hi to some of our old bartenders, we did not even step into number 3 it was that nasty.  I mean they all looks dirty, dingy, dark and grimy. In bar number 2 it was so crowded it was uncomfortable, people screaming in your ear, sweating dudes rubbing up against you and people who obviously do not believe in deodorant just plain ass gross. We did not recognize a soul , the old crew had given way to a new breed of party monkeys and we had not been included and damn I must say I could not be happier. At one point I looked at my husband and said to him - "How did we do this for so long? I am over this shit I wanna go home."  We hailed a cab and got our asses out of there...quick.....I would  rather have a dinner party at home and invite good friends over than deal with this particular bar scene ever again. It was a good time when we were part of it, but things and people change. It just not that much fun anymore.

Got home, opened the door and was greeted by two big sloppy dog kisses and a very awesome baby sitter. As we went upstairs to get changed {my feet could not take the awesome pointy booties any longer} I heard a faint mommy coming from LDG's room and what awaited me were two little arms, a smile and a huge hug ...I don't know about you but that is so much better than a dumb ass bar any day!

11 comments:

Annie@Letters to Mo said...

It makes you feel old, doesn't it? We live in a college town so whenever we go back to a bar (which is rare) I feel super old. There's all these 20 somethings wearing miniskirts even though it's 16 degrees out and they are stumbling all over the damn place.

I love going out with the hubs but I also am always glad to go home, too. We're old balls. When we go out we hit the movies or dinner out.

Ronni said...

I don't like bars. But I found that the drunker you are, the more tolerable they are.

I'm with you. Dinner party at home. Watch a DVD. Hanging out. So much nicer, and you can hear.

Kerry said...

Awww I loved this post!! It is so true what you wrote, I know what I'd prefer too :)

I'm free of the abuse said...

Isn't it funny how age changes our perspective? I used to think that I had it all. Staying out late, drinking whatever I wanted, no big responsibilities other than a job. Now, I go out on the rare occasion and I know I have it all. I get to come home to the most amazing kid and it just makes it all seem so much better. Going out usually means dinner and movie or just dinner if I'm too tired! lol
Susan
http://75percenthippie.blogspot.com
http://happyhippieheart.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

brian & i talk about the same thing all the time -- we were both major partyers back in da day & ran in the same circles of crazy-ass party freaks.

i could never do it now -- nor would i want to. but i admit that it's fun to poke my head in the old haunts every now & again. and sooooo sad to see some peeps in the same place they were many moons ago!

i am with you -- gimme good friends, some wine, good food, and my own comfy couch any day!

Jen + Jeff said...

I am actually looking forward to New Year's Eve this year since the hubs and I decided to stay home!

Mommy Bags said...

I felt old not in spirit but in body just too much work for a few hours of so called fun

Mariebop said...

I prefer a night around the dining room table with some board games and wine... Shame our friends are still in the "WOOOO! PARTY!!" phase.

Katrina said...

A night "out" isn't appealing to me anymore. Call me old, I don't care. I'd rather get all the kids into bed, then open up a bottle of wine, relax on the couch with the hubby, and either talk or watch a movie together. A bottle of wine is good for us - maybe two, depending on what I have going on the next day ;)

Bars were a lot nicer (and the people in it a lot more good-looking) back in my bar hopping days. But I'm sure a lot of that had to do with my being drunk most of the time ;)

CaffeinatedOCMommy said...

It's called, the Awesome Mommy Effect Darling... it happens every time... xoxo

Mommy2¢ said...

I'm with you! It's sometimes just better to keep the *memories* of those "Awesome" hang-outs as just that... Memories. Cuz in my experience when trying to re-visit the old stomping grounds it's very disappointing.

Feeling the love......