Tuesday, January 10, 2012

What are your thoughts???

Saturday was just a regular day this past weekend. We had some last minute errands to run and I needed to wrap some presents for an event we were attending on Sunday afternoon. After delivering the fur monkeys to the groomer {which meant chasing dogs around the house, wrestling dogs  and bribing dogs with treats}we head over to our local Target *love Target* who doesn't right? Now because we have turned into an old couple since having LDG we are now up at the butt crack of dawn so we get our shit done early in the morning. I also hate crowds and do not like crowded parking lots they drive me crazy I have a hot headed Italian temper and I lose it quickly! We grab LDG, cart and head into the Starbucks in the Target. As I am waiting in line for my non fat frothy goodness I look over to the mini food court were they serve crappy food period. There is nothing with nutrition as far as the eye can see. All junk food.

I then notice a group of kids and a couple of mothers. I look over at the table at what looks like a group age range of  6,7 and 8 year old and they are shoveling Round Table mini pizza's in their faces. Next to the pizza's the largest soda drink I have ever seen and next to it some nasty greasy looking fries. I then turn to my left and I see mom giving her 15 month old soda..... SODA at 15 months old WTF ? Really?  Soda including DIET soda is not good for kids. That crap is the Devil Juice. I usually do not give a crap what other people feed/give their kids for nutrition that is your kid do with it what you want.

I do however think it is wrong to give your 15 month year old soda*and this is my opinion which like a**holes everyone has one*   Ohhhh..... yeah did I fail to mention it was 9:30 in the morning when this junk food orgy was going on? What also disturbed me was that the 2 out of the 3 kids sitting at the table were on the robust side *STOP right there don't f*ckin shoot the messenger I am telling you what I saw and this was a fact* We are seeing it everyday kids who are dealing with friggin hard core health issues like obesity and diabetes so yeah it bothered me a bit. It seemed wrong to me that they were being fed this kind of food so early in the morning.  As a parent we have a responsibility and were here to help guide our children and I think that should be with the food choices that we make. What has happened to fresh fruit and veggies?

I don't know am I being weird or does this seem wrong?

10 comments:

Jo said...

This might be weird or hypocritical, but the fast food does not bother me nearly as much as the soda pop. Maybe the fast food was a rare treat, we can't know for sure. But there's no excuse for soda being given to a little kid. My daughter is four and there's still no way in hell I'd give her soda. Besides the sugar, the caffeine is horrible for them (and for parents who have to deal with hyped-up kids!). And diet soda is p. much poison, so yeah. No thanks.

I'm free of the abuse said...

Nope, nothing wrong with your thought process. Something is wrong with those parents though. As a fat chick, I am learning more and more about nutrition for myself and my child. I encourage every parent to learn what food is and what it does to you for their children's sake.
Susan
http://75percenthippie.blogspot.com
http://happyhippieheart.blogspot.com

Kerry said...

My daughter has just turned 12 and just tasted her first Diet Coke! My son is 8 and has only just begun to have softdrink (soda) as a treat. It has always been one thing that disgusted me, parents who give their kids that to drink and sometimes in a bottle!!! urgh :(
But I am guilty of the fast food but definitley NOT before lunchtime!!!

Jo said...

Kerry...have you ever watched Teen Mom, or 16 and Pregnant? I've seen those girls give ORANGE SODA in a bottle to their babies. OMG.

Mommy Bags said...

I am totally fine with having fast feed once an awhile but to have it in the morning with a soda the size of the kids head no. I am going to try my best to try and not have my kid taste soda until way older and if only she shows interest. I have seen moms give their kids Kool Aid in a bottle

Andrea said...

If they had to jet out of the house without breakfast, I get that, but they would've been better off grabbing a box of op-tarts and a package of juiceboxes from aisle 7. And it probabl;y would've been cheaper. Yikes to the habits that starts!!!

Michael Ann said...

You are not weird. This is a sore subject of me. I get fiercely upset, like my blood pressure rises, when I see overweight kids with their overweight parents, pigging out on crap food. I just get SO UPSET. Arent these people concerned to see their own children become fat just like them? Why would you want that for your kid when you obviously struggle? Ok, I get that you don't know nutrition, so LEARN. And what about these people's pediatricians? Isn't someone telling them to get their acts together? I'm sorry, but grr... this f*&ckin PISSES me off. Kids are the victims.

Sarah @ Vol Family Life said...

People in east tn (mountain people) are notorious for giving their babies mountain dew in their bottles... my brain cannot fathom the level of common sense it takes to think that is a good idea. *IF* I even give my kid juice, it is all natural and it's about oh 1 part juice to 4 parts water and she only gets it when she is sick. It's so bad for their teeth! And health and everything! AAAAAAAAAH!

Mommy Bags said...

I don't even know what Mountain Dew tastes like.I have never and will never want any. I know that is looks like radiator fluid and that color green cannot be OK to drink.

CaffeinatedOCMommy said...

OMGawd!!! Have you been reading my Mommy Lessons again? WTF*UCK is wrong with these parents? Cola is used to remove RUST off of bumpers! Okay, maybe a little bit of an urban legend, but STILL... I don't know who the role models for these BAD Mommys are, must be those stupid housewives... hmmmph, need to fix my lipstick... xoxo

Feeling the love......