Thursday, September 13, 2012

Getting Old Man.....

Dad and the grands
sucks....period. We can always try to convince ourselves that it doesn't and that 50 is the new 40 and 60 is the new 50 ect....but when the body has different plans and when the body decides it is time for some lubing and a 50,000 mile overall tune up the body needs to be listened to. We come to an age when our parents are beginning to age and your parents friends are on the same route.  Some we have lost too early and some of them are beginning to feel the wear and tear of this road we call life.  We don't want to thibk about and we don't want to see it but it is happening all around me.  Tomorrow my awesomely fabulous dad is going in for a tune up....He was supposed to have a total hip replacement on the 5th of this month however when he went in for pre op they noticed that one of his main veins in his neck was 85 percent blocked which means it is roto rooter time. They would not do the hip surgery without him going in to have this cleared out for concern that he could have had a stroke during the hip surgery. In a way we our fortunate they caught it and it will be taken care of they say everything happens for a reason. My dad is 70 and doing great - he started working out and besides a few kinks here and there he is doing well for his age. However my dad is a smoker and anytime he goes under the knife/anesthesia I get concerned. It really does suck to see your parents age. You always think they will always be there and they will never change many time we take for granted that they will be the same person that changed your diapers so many years ago. We were hit with a big shock when my mom passed away 3 years ago at the age of 59 and I don't do well with these type of situations anymore. I hate hospitals and when someone even comes close to me with a white coat I go into anxiety mode.

I have told myself that my dad will be fine and this is part of maintenance that he will need to go through has he gets older but I can't help myself from being anxious for this surgery to be over and done with it. Today I am spending the day with him and GG. Hanging out {pervert dad scoping out the local talent he is still a ladies man} and just having fun together. We went to lunch and he ordered some wine...I said to him

"Dad are you sure you should be having wine since you have surgery tomorrow?"
He answers - In Italian
"What am I supposed to do stop living my life this one day because I have surgery tomorrow no way...If it is my time to go then it's my time to go....But I know that has of right now I have lived life to the fullest...Cheers - 

You got to give it to my dad he has always known what to say......



7 comments:

joeh said...

I am sure he will be fine, but I'm sayin a little prayer anyway (not that I have much influence)

Mommy Bags said...

Thanks Cranky your a true gent

I'm free of the abuse said...

Your dad totally gets life. He understands the assignment. What an awesome guy!

Sending all my positive energy MB!

We are thinking of you up here in the Pac. NW.
Susan

Rebecca said...

I like your dad he knows how to live and i know he will be fine but sending love and light your way

Come Say HI

Unknown said...

Aww what a sweet post! Your dad sound like an awesome guy! Lots of positive vibes coming your way, girl!!

Unknown said...

I know I am late here but I hope dear old dad is doing good and has a fast recovering. And yes getting old sucks A$$!!! sending lots of hugs your way...xoxo

Kerry said...

Sending loads of love and positive thoughts your way for a full recovery and a speedy recovery for your dad's surgery!! I wish him well and this was a beautiful post...

Feeling the love......