Tuesday, April 2, 2013

The chocolate bunny hangover........

AS you can see Monday was a total bomb since I am just posting this today!

Just because my dog look so goofy
Eck today is Monday and I am not feeling it. Yesterday was a huge Easter Day and we are all suffering from too much food, too much wine and way too much friggin chocolate. If I NEVER see a damn chocolate bunny again I will be good.  It is rainy and gross outside so I figured what the hell it is going to be pajama day at the house.  Once and awhile I think this is a fun way to reconnect with my little one and once in a bit it is great just to stop the running around and the mad dashes to activities and her school. We had Easter with the family yesterday on this particular holiday we do the restaurant thing and not the cooking thing. As much as I love to cook this is a holiday where I typically get a break  which is always fun so I can actually participate in the festivities. Made my baskets and was over pastel colors and f*cking Dora by the end of the day.

Yesterday was clean out the refrigerator day I go grocery shopping almost every Tuesday so Monday is usually make whatever I have left. Usually I am left with allot of carrots/celery/onions so I do my super duper never miss a beat pasta and fagioli. Every time I make this soup there is never any left and my toddler will wipe out 2 bowls and loves it. She gets all her veggies in one hit.

The beginning of the best soup ever so good, healthy a fairly quick so it is great for a week night meal. I have added baby potatoes and zucchini to the mix and it made the soup heartier and more like a meal......



  • 2 tablespoons (2 turns around the pan) extra-virgin olive oil
  • 1/8 pound (about 3 slices) pancetta, chopped
  • 2 (4 to 6-inch) sprigs rosemary, left intact
  • 1 (4 to 6-inch) sprig thyme with several sprigs on it, left intact
  • 1 large fresh bay leaf or 2 dried bay leaves
  • 1 medium onion, finely chopped
  • 1 small carrot, finely chopped
  • 1 rib celery, finely chopped
  • 4 large cloves garlic, chopped
  • Coarse salt and pepper
  • 2 (15 ounce) cans cannellini beans
  • 1 cup canned tomato sauce or canned crushed tomatoes
  • 2 cups water
  • 1 quart chicken stock
  • 1 1/2 cups ditalini
  • Grated Parmigiano or Romano, for the table
Directions

Heat a deep pot over medium high heat and add oil and pancetta. Brown the pancetta bits lightly, and add herb stems, bay leaf, chopped vegetables, and garlic. Season vegetables with salt and pepper. Add beans, tomato sauce, water, and stock to pot and raise heat to high. Bring soup to a rapid boil and add pasta. Reduce heat to medium and cook soup, stirring occasionally, 6 to 8 minutes or until pasta is cooked al dente. Rosemary and thyme leaves will separate from stems as soup cooks. Remove herb stems and bay leaf from soup and place pot on table on a trivet.


Hope you all had a great Easter 

4 comments:

Andrea said...

So glad you included the recipe!

Sarah @ Vol Family Life said...

Aww happy easter to you too! We are having Birthday Cake/Baptism Party/Easter hangover in our house. Ugh.

Not Winning Mom of the Year said...

Geez I love these recipes you are sharing. Yum!

Unknown said...

A little late here but hope you had a great Easter as well;) and yes i will be good too if i never see a chocolate ANYTHING ever again.

Feeling the love......