Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Just a Mom.....

so the other day I was in line at the mother ship{grocery store} just doing my weekly thing of getting stuff for the casa. Becasue I am a type A personality and a total organized freak I plan weekly menus and I am very to the T when planning ad preparing my families meals...yes I am that freak. I might have a loud mouth, an overwhelming personality and loud as f*ck but when it comes to throwing down the meals I am pretty much the most anal bitch out there. Anywhoo.....as I am sitting there with my cart full of groceries, checking off my list and menu's and trying to control a very active toddler from wandering out the door and keeping her from the weekly toy area I was met with a very supportive smile from an elderly woman dressed to the nines in her Salvatore Ferragamo shoes, Chanel bag and a pair of sunglasses I would have killed for.....

She said to me:  Enjoy this time because they grow up so fast.
I said: Oh I know it just sometimes I wish I could get even a small break as I smiled back
She said: Do you work?
I said: Nope I am just a mom
She said: Darling (yep she used darling) don't ever say you are just a mom...being a mom is one of the most important jobs in the world that does not get enough respect now a days......
With that said she patted me on the back...that hang in there pat made my day.......

As I was walking to the car I took to heart what that nice lady had said to me and you know what I do bust my ass and it is hard work and sometimes I do wish some people who see it that way. I sometimes feel as a SAHM we get zero respect and thank you's are very few and far between. I see the look people give me when I say that I am a stay home.....Yes am I fortunate that I can stay home and raise my child - YES I know their are allot of women who wish they could. I might have it good in some peoples mind...but it is not easier I can guarantee that.   I feel that once you do decide to stay home with your little one you lose some sort of your own identity. People don't talk to me anymore they talk around me and no longer value what I have to say because I am just a mom. I am no longer in control of my life and your never number one on the list. I am a type A personality  - I can totally handle the work load ...Hate me if you want but my house is always clean, I plan all events, plan menu's, grocery shop and do all running of the house. Dinner is cooked and served every night by 5:30. My husband has not touched a piece of laundry in 3 plus years and I do all the decorating and buying of furniture. Run my child to all functions sports and events and take care of all her clothing ect.....I tend to get shit from allot of people who are like how do you do what you do through the day and shoot me a dirty look because I am so organized ..why am I like this because it is what I do for a living. I run my home and raise my child...I never stop I am always on the move. It is my job and I should never said that I am just a mom.....

As a mom we are

Caregivers
Chef
Stylist
Maid
Engineer because I have had to come up with some McGyver shit to get little Barbie shoes out of many orifices throughout the house
Nurse
Teacher
Driver
Boo boo take carers
Scary monster chasers
Psychologist
The punisher because god forbid that daddy would do it...I am bad cop
Referee
Middle of the night Pee Queen
Laundromat operator because god knows their is always a shitload of laundry to do
Personal assistant to myself to keep up with all the activities my child is starting to participate in
Dog walker because let's face it the dogs are big hairy 70 pound children
Volunteer for Armed services and when I do have a little bit of free time I will be bringing flowers to our retirement  community in the area.
I am sure the list has many more parts but I could be here all day......Some day are a breeze and then some days just plain SUCK.

This is not a SAH vs. working mom post this is about what we do all day and how sometimes I feel that some people think all we do all day is eat bon bons and watch Jerry Springer{is that show even on anymore}? I guess I just needed to vent a little because I think I am going through some kind of identity crisis....GG is a preschool but in just a short amount of time she will be in kindergarten and that means full time so it has given me some time to think of what  want to do with the rest of my life. I will be pondering this question for a bit...and hopefully soon I will come up with an answer...In the mean time

Stay Fierce and Love

7 comments:

joeh said...

I was going to say something sarcastic and funny, then I thought better...don't mess with a Mom on a rant!

Unknown said...

here here from a fellow (wayyyyyy less organized) SAHM!
xxoo

Not Winning Mom of the Year said...

Bags, she is so right. I used to think that shortly after quitting my job to stay home, and then I thought about it: I work WAY harder now than I did at the office, WAY harder than my husband at his job, and with managing my kids, running a busy household, planning everything practically down to my kids bowel movements, I still make time to enjoy my kids, write a nonsense blog, and throw on a little mascara - I am more than just a mom! You are more than just a mom! It's the hardest job, but I think the most important one.

Kerry said...

Amen!!
I agree with you and sometimes all it takes is for someone else to remind us of all that we do and sacrifice. I have been guilty of referring to myself as just a mum too. Not anymore, I take pride in what I do. I love my job, it's friggin hard and often sux lol but I wouldn't trade it. Good for you!! You are doing a wonderful job.

CaffeinatedOCMommy said...

You're the BEST Darling... that old bag took MY pet name for you... xoxo

Unknown said...

I say that all the time ....oh i am just a mom, and get the same response you did. Sometimes i feel because this is what i choose i dont have the right to complain or need a break. Being at home with the kiddos is so flipping hard. Somedays i think i might have a freaking meltdown:) but i love it and wouldnt want it any other way!!!

I'm free of the abuse said...

The phrase I dislike the most when asked what I do. "Oh, that must be nice to be able to do that". Well, dolls, it is nice. It is amazing, rewarding, exhausting, and wonderful even when it's not. However, "it must be nice" like I sit around eating mother freakin' vegan bonbons all day watching soap operas. Whatever! We give up SO much for me to do this!!!!

Great post! I think you're freakin' amazing!!!!

Feeling the love......